Substitute Teacher Requirements and Application Information
The substitute teacher application process must be completed in the following order:
1. Substitute Teacher Application and REQUIRED Supporting Documents
• Complete an online application at www.evscschools.com
• Upload copies of official transcripts verifying at least 60 hours of college coursework
• Submit three EVSC reference forms
• Upload copies of a valid Indiana teaching license or Indiana substitute teacher permit
2. National Background Check
• After completing all the steps in Step 1, the applicant will be contacted by email and provided instructions on requesting the required online background check from our provider, MBI. The applicant is responsible for the $23 fee, payable online with a personal credit or debit card.
3. Indiana Teaching License or Indiana Substitute Permit
• A valid Indiana teaching license or Indiana substitute permit is required to work as a substitute teacher in Indiana.
• If the applicant does not hold an active Indiana teaching license, they may apply to the Indiana Department of Educator for a substitute teacher permit. The national background check must be completed and approved prior to applying for the substitute permit.
• Instructions for applying for the permit will be emailed to the applicant after approval of the national background check.
• The cost to the applicant for a three year substitute permit is $16.32 and payable online with a personal credit card.
4. Mandatory Orientation
• After all the above steps have been completed, an email will be sent to the applicant requesting their attendance at a required orientation. Orientation sessions are held once a month. Due to limited seating in the orientation room, applicants must respond to the email and confirm their attendance.
New substitute teachers are required to attend the orientation and complete all required employment forms before working in our schools.
Non-Teach Substitute Information
Non-teach substitute applicants are required to complete an online application and have on file three completed EVSC reference forms. Applications will be reviewed and selected on a weekly basis. If selected, the applicant will be contacted and provided instructions on requesting the required online background check from our provider, MBi. The fee is $23 and payable online using a credit or debit card.
Non-teach substitutes are paid at a rate of $7.25/hour for the first 20 consecutive or 30 non-consecutive days of work. An EVSC required tracking form is then submitted to the Office of Human Resources. If time is properly completed, the substitute's pay is increased. For secretary substitutes, pay is increased to $13.42/hour . For all other non-teach substitute positions, pay is increased to $9.27/hour.
General Information for All EVSC Substitutes
No benefits are provided by the EVSC for substitute employees. There is an option for individual health plans paid for by the employee. To obtain information on these plans please follow the link below:
Call 812-435-8420 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org